Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Song of Solomon response:
So far, I have enjoyed reading this book which is unusual for me because i most of the time do not enjoy reading school required stuff. i definitely still have some questions at this point, but I think I will hold off on those till i have read more and gotten some more insight into the different characters. My lasing impressions so far, is that its kinda hard to believe anything anyone says. Ruth has her side of what happens, Macon has his side, and while they do have some blending points, they parts that matter are the parts that differ the most for both of them. my favorite character at this point is tied at the moment, I know its bad that I like Macon Sr, and I don't like him because of the way he treats people, hitting your wife is bad. I appreciate where he is coming from because he had to deal with some pretty harsh stuff, is father being killed, and growing up on his own basically. That can do a lot to a person, like make them cold and emotionally unattached. I don't excuse what Macon does, but there is a reason for I believe and I think that has to be taken into account before we can pass judgment on him as a person. That's just my personal take on him. I also like Guitar as well, just because he contrasts Milkman so well. Guitar has a purpose, which he believes is greater than himself, Im not saying that what he does is good, or right in any sense of the word, but he had a calling. You can even come close to saying the same thing for Milkman. I mean honestly what the hell is he motivated by? I can not think of a damn thing, other than being a naive, spoiled, unaware, overprotected punk kid who has not grown up even those he's in his late twenties. I know that his is purpose in the book, but I just really don't like him at the moment. I dislike him even more than Ruth who has so many weird issues going on with her. her daddy issues are huge, and i really dislike the way she provokes Macon just so he loses control. Which is smart, but also very self-destructive and i guess that's kind of the point of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment