Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The End, Cantos XXXIV.

And following its path, We took no care
To rest, but climbed: he first, then I-so far,
Through a round aperture I saw appear

Some of the beautiful things that Heaven bears,
Where we came fourth, and once more saw the stars.
(lines 136-140)

Thats gross, number one. Thats just gross. They climbed out of his back hair. That is just weird. okay, and the thing that really threw me off is that God if punishing Satan. I know the whole story and I guess that it makes sense but i also thought of the two as opposing forces. Gos is one bad ass, and the Devil is another. I never thought of it like God is better than the Devil, so he can punish hims as well. I guess my ideas of God and Satan came from Disney and comics. I know that Satan used to be an angle but i always though of him as like bad ass who was on equal footing with God, not his bitch. Thats what my problem is with this last part. I also dont like where they climbed out of it. GROSS. here is some analyisis i looked up so i could figure it out.Here in the Fourth Ring of the Ninth Circle of Hell, at the utter bottom, Dante comes to the end of his hierarchy of sins and thus completes the catalogue of evil that dominates and defines Inferno. Although Inferno explores most explicitly the theme of divine retribution and justice, the poem's unrelenting descriptions, categorizations, and analysis of sin makes human evil its fundamental subject. The positioning of fraud as the worst of sins helps us to define evil: fraud, more than any other crime, acts contrary to God's greatest gift to mankind—love. This makes sense to me now. AWESOME

No comments:

Post a Comment