As I'll explain.By violence, death and wounds
of grievous kinds are inflicted on one's neighbor;
And on his property--arson, ruinous offense,
Extortion. So the first ring is the harbor
Of torment for the homicides and those
Who strike out wrongfully: despoiler, robber,
I'm not exactly sure why I chose these two passages. I would hazard a guess and say that I chose them because they made really logical sense in the context of what I have read so far. The main issue that I have been having with the Inferno so far is that, I really have never been that great at reading poetry. So when a section comes along where it is logically explained to me is very beneficial to my understanding of the text as a whole. The other person who I'm unsure of right now is Virgil, I know he is guiding Dante through Hell, but Im slightly confused on who Dante keeps calling master. Hold on a second, i will look that up now...............Okay, so I was right, Dante is calling Virgil master. That makes things a lot more clear. I think they thing that i like most about the Inferno is that its peotry inits most basic form and its about hell. i think thats cool, all the poetry ive read in schol is about silly, inconsequential things. like teapots, and cats, and flowers and other such nonsense. its almost refreshing to read about misery and other things that those prim and proper english poets tend to shy away from. Its nice. The only real problem Ive been having so far, is that I usually read quite fast and am used to getting through books very quickly. Now, with Inferno, im having to read very slowly and methodically to make sure I dont miss a detail. I guess that is a good thing, making me slow down and read for the tiny deatils, but its kinda frusturating. I guess I will get used to since its for my benfit and what not.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thank you for the donuts yesterday. that was nice.
ReplyDelete