Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cantos I-V

So I descended from first to second circle
Which girdles a smaller space and greater pain,
Which spurs more lamentation. Minos the dreadful

Snarls at the gate. He examines each one's sin,
Judging and disposing as he curls his tail:
That is when an ill-begotten soul comes down,


So, i choose these two passages from a couple of reasons. First and in my mind most importantly, i actually understood this one. Cantos 3, 4, and 5 made a little bit of sense to me. Cantos 1 and 2 were just weird. i had no idea what was going on in the part of the story. Second reason that i had was that i liked the specificity of this part of the inferno as well. I felt like i could really visualize where and what this circle looked like. As for Minos, I looked him up online, and i now understand how he tells each soul where they are supposed to go, by wrapping his tail around his body that number of times. I really did not get it from reading, but it makes sense now.

No comments:

Post a Comment